Cable TV Becomes Obsolete
Cable television is getting obsolete in the context of video streaming services changing the media industry. It doesn’t offer the flexibility and convenience that OTT services have. That’s why the OTT industry is on the rise. Let’s observe in detail why cable television is taking a backseat, and you should switch to OTT service.
If you want to create your own OTT service or over video monetization platform, contact Setplex.com. They have an OTT solution that can help you achieve your business goals.
Why are OTT services better than cable TV?
OTT services provide you with many monetization capabilities.
The main aim of a business is to generate revenue. Fortunately, OTT services have rich monetization capabilities you can take advantage of. For example, there are three main models:
- Advertisement-based model, or AVOD. AVOD platforms don’t charge users anything. This service usually offers free content but with ads that third-party companies want to run on it. They pay you for showing their video ads to your audience.
- Subscription-based model, or SVOD. It is the most popular one. It is easy to purchase a subscription once and obtain unlimited access to content. Many platforms benefit from this model. The subscription is easy to cancel – people also like OTT services for that. However, recently, a subscription fatigue phenomenon has been noticed. People stop using subscription-based services and turn to advertisement-based because they get tired of all subscriptions they purchase.
- Transactional-based model, or TVOD. It is also known as a pay-per-view model. Viewers pay for the content they want to watch now. Then, they can leave a platform and never come back or become a regular user. The thing is that people purchase videos they want to view now, and the rest of the content remains inaccessible.
It is up to you to decide which model suits your business goals the most.
OTT services let people watch videos the way they like.
There are many reasons for that:
- They operate on multiple devices: smartphones, laptops, Smart TVs, and tablets.
OTT companies develop not only the Middleware but also applications that can help you reach more customers and offer them convenience. People can use any device they have to use your service.
Multi-platform opportunities decrease the number of fights over a remote control in families. Family members can use several devices to access the content.
Multi-platform capabilities also allow users to view videos wherever they are. They only need an internet connection and a compatible device to enter the service. It is even possible to get not so common content as Albanian TV and shows.
- OTT services let viewers rewind and watch videos on-demand.
It is up to viewers to decide how they are going to watch a video. They can start viewing it in the morning and continue in the evening or the next day. They can skip boring parts or re-watch interesting scenes.
- The video-on-demand format allows viewers to access videos when they want.
Unlike cable television, OTT services don’t have a common schedule. Viewers don’t need to adapt their day so that they can catch their favorite program. They access the service, choose a video they want to watch, and enjoy it. Simple. They can do that any time they wish to.
Cable television is good because it is stable. There are no latencies, and the electricity rarely goes down, while an internet connection can break or servers can fail.
But still, OTT services are more convenient and flexible than cable TV. Moreover, providers invest a lot of money into creating unique and engaging content, which is one more reason to switch to OTT services.