Oral Care Tips That’ll Help You Keep Your Teeth Healthy
It is important to practice good oral hygiene to prevent tooth decay and other oral infections. Good hygiene includes regular brushing and flossing. It is also highly important to make sure that you visit your dentist for dental exams and cleanings twice a year.
The main goal of oral hygiene is plaque buildup prevention. Plaque buildup causes tooth decay and gum infection. Aside from oral health, there are also other reasons why it is important to maintain good oral hygiene. Among these are:
It affects overall health
The mouth is the opening to the internal parts of the body. It also serves as a vantage point for the early detection of symptoms of systemic diseases. There are systemic diseases that often start as a mouth lesion or other dental issues like gum infection.
Some studies, in fact, show that people with periodontal disease are more at risk of having heart disease. In addition, these studies show that periodontal disease increases inflammation in the body. The inflammation affects body parts and can cause artery inflammation.
Aside from cardiovascular conditions and diabetes, there are also other health issues caused by poor oral hygiene. These are:
- Infective endocarditis
- Bacterial pneumonia
- Low birth weight
- Pregnancy complications
Good oral hygiene will help keep these diseases at bay.
Tooth loss prevention
The most common dental problem that adults and children face is tooth loss. The common cause of this problem is poor dental hygiene. Without proper mouth care, plaque buildup can happen that can result in severe tooth decay and, in some cases, gum infection. These, in turn, can cause tooth loss.
Prevention is as easy as brushing and flossing your teeth. However, it would help to schedule a dental visit at least twice a year to clean those hard-to-reach areas of your teeth and gum line.
A whiter and brighter smile
Good oral hygiene will ensure that your teeth are whiter. Whiter teeth mean a brighter smile because it makes you confident. So to ensure that you have an amazing smile, make sure to practice good oral hygiene.
Practicing good oral hygiene is, in fact, good for your well-being, not just for your teeth. Here are some ways to practice good oral hygiene:
- Eat crunchy fruits and vegetables because they contain fiber that will make your teeth healthy.
- Avoid sugary snacks because this will cause tooth decay.
- Drink more water because it can help wash out the negative effects of the acidic and sticky food you consume.
- Rinse your mouth after taking meals with water to clean your teeth.
- Brush your teeth after every meal to make sure that no food is left in between the teeth.
- Use mouthwash. It will help reduce the acid in your mouth. It will also help clean those hard-to-reach areas in your mouth.
- Floss. Flossing will remove food particles that are stuck in between your teeth.
- Visit your dentist at least twice a year to make sure that you are in good oral health.
- Clean your tongue to prevent plaque buildup. Plaque can settle on your tongue, so it is important to clean it, as well.
It can’t be stressed enough the importance of good oral care. It does not only help protect your teeth but also protect your overall health.