Many people across the globe suffer from sleeplessness or insomnia. About 70 million people in the United States suffer from some type of sleeping disorder.
Sleep problems are traditionally treated by Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and medication, however scientists are now examining the effects of cannabidiol on sleep disorders.
CBD is one of the several compounds found in the Cannabis sativa plant. This non-psychoactive compound has a relaxing and calming effect on the body. Hence, its use is being actively explored in treating various sleeping disorders and also cbd helps in making you happy.
Let us find out how CBD can help with sleep disorders.
Causes of Sleeplessness and Role of CBD
Sleep is a natural yet complex occurrence. There are several reasons why a person cannot get restful sleep at night. Some of the possible causes of insomnia are listed below:
- Mental disorders like anxiety, post-traumatic stress disorder, and depression.
- Sleep apnea or restless leg syndrome as primary reasons for insomnia.
- Chronic pain conditions like multiple sclerosis or arthritis
- Medical conditions like acid reflux, thyroid problems, and even Parkinson’s disease.
- Stress due to personal or professional problems
- Environmental disturbances like loud noises and uncomfortable sleeping ambiance
- Medications or substance abuse
Some of these problems like anxiety, depression, chronic pain, and stress can be effectively managed by CBD. You can consume CBD as CBD gummies uk, oil and tinctures, and even topicals. The cannabinoid has a role in treating sleeping disorders, as CBD addresses the root cause of insomnia. Also read about how to grow og kush .
CBD and the Endocannabinoid System
Our bodies are made up of an endocannabinoid system. The endocannabinoid system regulates the circadian rhythms or the sleep-wake cycles. This specialized system comprises specific receptors with which cannabinoids like CBD attach and interact to alter varied responses. CBD might interact with the specific receptors involved in regulating the circadian rhythm. Furthermore, CBD also alters the brain chemistry to alleviate anxiety, stress, and pain symptoms. These are a few of the common causes of sleeplessness.
Investigative Studies on CBD as a Panacea for Sleeplessness
Below are some instances of research studies on the role of CBD in treating sleeping disorders.
- In a study involving 72 adults suffering from poor sleep and anxiety, over 65% of the subjects experienced improved sleep after taking 25 mg of CBD daily for about a month. Moreover, the improvements in sleep spanned for three months.
- In a study comprising 21 patients suffering from Parkinsonson’s disease sans dementia or other mental disorders, patients reported enhanced sleep quality after taking 30 mg of CBD daily.
- A 2019 study looked into the potential of CBD in alleviating anxiety and enhancing sleep. The study comprised 72 participants, of which 25 participants had sleep problems while the remaining 47 participants had anxiety issues. Every participant was given a dose of 25 mg of CBD. After about a month, almost 80% of the patients reported reduced anxiety, while 70% of the patients could sleep better at night.
- Many people experience chronic pain which, disturbs their sleep at night. A 2018 study that appeared in the Frontiers of Pharmacology suggested that CBD can alleviate pain. The study highlighted the role of CBD as a pain reliever that can help improve sleep.
- We all know that lack of sleep can lead to grogginess and excessive sleepiness during the daytime. A 2014 study claimed that CBD might foster wakefulness in some cases.
CBD Formulations to Treat Sleeping Disorders
CBD is predominantly derived from the hemp plant of the Cannabis sativa strain. The absorption and amount of CBD vary in these different formulations. As a result, the therapeutic effect of CBD also varies.
However, CBD gummies are the most popular way of consuming and extracting the goodness of CBD.
Some of the advantages of CBD gummies are:
- You know precisely how much CBD you are ingesting as the packaging on the bottle mentions the concentration of CBD in each gummy.
- CBD gummies are portable, and you can easily carry them and consume them on the go.
- CBD gummies are palatable and come in a variety of delectable flavors.
Usually, CBD dosages range from 25 milligrams to 1500 milligrams of cannabidiol each day. Begin with lower doses of CBD randing anywhere between 25 mg to 40 mg. Talk to your doctor regarding the dosing. This is especially important if you are taking any medications or suffering from any medical condition. Depending on whether CBD is legal in your state, your doctor may prescribe you an appropriate dosage or may suggest some high-quality brands of CBD.
Cannabidiol or CBD is a potential natural intervention in treating sleeping disorders. Although CBD holds promise in treating insomnia, most of the research studies conducted so far were small and were sans any control group. Yet, consumption of CBD, especially CBD gummies, is increasing by the day in the United States. We advise you to partner with your doctor on ways to incorporate CBD as part of the treatment plan to manage your sleeplessness.